The Smoke Pencil is an ingenious gadget for pinpointing air leaks and tracking down hard-to-find gaps – ideal for air leakage tests of new or existing houses. When the trigger is pressed, a plume of smoke-like substance is released. This is actually generated from a harmless glycerine-like fluid, giving off a slightly sweet smell. When the trigger is released, the “smoke” stops, making it highly controllable. The field kit comes with a removable tip for issuing a very fine flume of smoke for detecting the smallest of air leaks. There are six batteries for the Smoke Pencil. There is an 80ml bottle of fluid (enough for several hours’ worth of draught investigating), a screwdriver for the base so you can fit the batteries easily. These are all packed into a sturdy case for taking out and about with you.
How to use the Draught Detector
- Insert 6AA batteries into the Smoke Pencil through the bottom battery door
- Install the Adaptor Tip by slipping the fan body over the chimney of the Smoke Pencil. Switch this on using the power switch on the side of the battery housing.
- Lay the unit on its side and remove the “fill” plug. nsert the fluid bottle’s long spout far into the tank. Then squeeze in the fluid.
- Flip up the lock mechanism on the trigger. Press trigger gently until the LED light glows, indicating the power to the smoke generator is on. Hold for 6 – 9 seconds, after which a plume of smoke will start to be emitted.
- Find draughts and air leaks!
- Switch it all off when you’ve finished.
- A small amount of water will accumulate in the “empty” tank. This can be squeezed out using the fluid bottle and reused. It’s recommended that the fluid tank is emptied after use so it doesn’t leak glycerine stuff out while it’s stored. It’s harmless but a bit sticky.
Here’s a video to show you how it works. In it Jason says to use rechargeable batteries to allow the heating element to last longer but this has been improved over the years so by all means use rechargeable batteries for environmental reasons but the AA alkaline batteries we supply will work fine with the product.